Wednesday, April 10, 2024

WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD MEN GONE?

Acts 11:24 a

24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith.

Where have all the good men, like Barnabas gone? 

When I think about good men, I can't help but think about my dad, Kermit Cleveland Brackett (Babe) he was a good man. We lost dad on this day, April 10, 2007 (17 years ago) yet it seems like only yesterday. I was thinking about him on my way to the office this morning and figured it was a good time to write something about him on my blog.

I always remember Dad as a humble and quiet man who went out of his way to help others. He repaired lawnmowers and when someone came to pick it up they would ask dad how much they owed him and he would often say five dollars. Keep in mind that dad never had much but I've never seen him try to take advantage of anyone.

When I look back, I have a hard time understanding how he was able to do all that he did with so little. There are little vignettes embedded in my memory of so many different times in my life where he manged to glue, staple, or tape things together just so they would last a little longer. He was a hard worker and lived by meager means yet somehow, he always managed to provide for us. 

He followed the advice of President Theodore Roosevelt - “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” 

Being a good man was just dad's nature, I can't remember him being any other way. He set a great example for me in how he treated others, especially mom. We lost a good man when dad passed and I sure do miss him. I can't hardly wait to see him again!

No comments: